Thursday, January 31, 2013

One Week After Surgery

We woke up today, I laid Piper down so I could change her diaper.  As I changed her, I could see that there was tissue that was moving on the top of her mouth where her Palate repair was done.  I really was hoping I was imagining it but I was not.  As I peaked again, it was definitely moving.  I immediately called the Surgeons office hysterically crying because I really thought that the whole palate repair had failed.  I was so upset.  The lack of sleep was also not helping this either.  After the week we have had, I honestly did not want her to have to go through this whole thing again.  That is where my mind took me.  The nurse talked to the doctor and had us come right into the office.  Thankfully the girls were lined up with friends who had offered to let them come to them so that we could try to get some rest and catch up on some sleep.  That was one thing I did not have to try to tackle.  I called my mother in law and asked her to pray.  Pray that I was wrong and that it really is all fine.  She said that she would come with me if I wanted her to.  I was really happy that she had offered to do that.  God knew I needed her that day.   We drove to the city to have the doctor take a look at her palate.  We walked in and there was another doctor sitting there-Dr. L and our doctor Dr. J.   It was really assuring to see that they were both there to look at her.  Dr. L trained the doctors there and he has been doing this for a long time.  He will actually be retiring in about 6-8 years.  It was also like getting a second opinion without asking for one.  They looked in her mouth and confirmed what I saw.  The piece of tissue detached from the right side of her palate.  It was literally hanging in her mouth by the time we got to the doctors office.  They said that they did not want to touch it.  It was better if we let things do what they needed to do naturally.  If they were to remove the tissue that was hanging it could have been traumatic for her.  My concern was that I did not want her to choke on it.  As soon as the palate detached this little girl started to drink her bottles like a champ.  Let me say she started drinking the WHOLE bottle each time I gave it to her.  What a difference from the last week.  They decided we should just wait and see how things heal.  Mouths heal unbelievably well. Children also heal well too.  For now we will have return visits for them to watch her mouth to see if it will heal itself.  We went home and I watched her.  It was amazing how things turned around after it detached with drinking. She continued to drink her bottles really well.  When I was putting the kids to bed, daddy had Piper downstairs.  She was sitting on his lap and started coughing.  She coughed out the piece that was hanging and it landed right on the floor.  I was so happy I was not in the room!!  Sorry to gross you out.  Just trying to be honest in case anyone else experiences this.  Although they did tell me that it is really rare that any palate repair has detached in any way.  We are definitely making friends here at the hospital with all of this.  We will wait and see what happens.  I will keep you posted.  Thank you for all of your prayers!

No comments:

Post a Comment